Brown is a wonderfully warm color that can be worn in all seasons. It is also a color that is flattering on all body shapes and can be worn for casual or special occasions. Whether you are looking for a dress for the office, something to go shopping in or a cute little number for a night out on the town, brown is a highly versatile color that can be worn and accessorized for any occasion. Brown is often seen as a ‘winter’ color as it is dark and warm, but it can be worn throughout the year in various shades and styles to really make a beautiful summer or spring statement. Brown looks good on pale or dark skin and can be worn in a variety of shades, from dark, deep browns to lighter ‘watered’ down browns, all of which can be paired perfectly with an array of different colors.
How to wear a brown dress?
Almost anyone can wear the color brown, and whether you go for a long or short dress (depending on the occasion), both styles can look fantastic on their own with a simple scarf or pashmina in the summer and spring or with a coat or a short leather jacket in the autumn or winter months. The best way to wear brown is to choose a shade of brown that suits your hair color and skin tone. If you are dark skinned with dark hair, go for a lighter shade of brown to bring out your best features, and if you have pale skin and light or blonde hair, a darker shade of brown will look better on you.
- For the office, go for a dress with an above-the-knee style or a stylish sleeveless, V-neck or round neck dress without sleeves, which can be worn with a jacket for smarter occasions or meetings and a scarf or stole for more casual days. Pair the brown dress with a lighter colored jacket or a neat little cardigan in black or cream to cover your shoulders and add a brightly colored scarf for a lighter touch.
- For a night out on the town, brown sequins can look amazing in the right style. Go for a short, strapless dress or one with short sleeve and a beautiful V-neckline and cover your shoulders with a black silk pashmina or a cropped jacket.
- A long brown dress can also look amazing, depend on the style, but brighten up the dress with a touch of color to avoid looking drab.
- If you want to be up with the latest catwalk trends and in style by wearing brown, but don’t want to go over the top with a full brown outfit, patterns and prints are a good way to wear the color without going overboard. There are some beautiful prints with brown tones and hues, mainly animal prints such as cheetah or leopard prints, which add a touch of style and pizzazz to any outfit.
What jewelry to match with a brown dress?
The way you accessorize a brown dress will depend entirely on the style of your dress you have chosen to wear and the event you are wearing it to.
- For formal occasions, such as parties, always choose jewelry that is subtle and straightforward, like a beautiful tennis bracelet and classic stud earrings or plain gold or silver chain around your neck or wrist. While both gold and silver work well with brown, gold will look better as it is a warmer color, but whatever your preferred mineral, keep colored stones to a minimum and stick with diamonds or other neutral colored stones. Avoid bright, baubles, which can look cheap and gaudy.
- For informal occasions, you can go wild with your choice of jewelry as anything will stand out against the darkness of the brown, whether it is a light or dark shade. Pair a classic brown dress with large drop earrings and a chunky bracelet in a bold color, or go for a long chain with a pendant or charm on the end that catches the eye. Keep in mind that when selecting bright colors, always go for warm colors such as reds, oranges, and yellows, which pair better with brown than cooler colors like blues and greens.
Expert tip! Simple jewelry for a sophisticated dress style, and detailed or bolder jewelry for a simple dress style.
What accessories to pair with a brown dress?
Brown is a great color to accessorize as it is neutral and easily matched to some other colors, particularly the warmer reds, oranges, and yellows. If you prefer to keep the dress a solid color, use your accessories to brighten up the outfit, such as scarves, handbags, necklaces or shoes.
Dresses and jackets are a fantastic combination that has been seen on the catwalks for decades. Short, cropped jackets work best to accentuate the style of the dress, whether long or short, and leather or suede jackets are always a winner as they bring out the best of a brown dress.
What color shoes to pair with a brown dress?
Shoes play a vital role in your overall look and pairing your brown dress with the right pair of shoes is important. The key to choosing the right color shoe for a brown dress is to keep it simple – stick with black for a safe bet – you can never go wrong with black.
In summer, go for strappy sandals or flat pumps, and in winter, a beautiful pair of leather boots will work perfectly with a short or long brown dress.
Expert tip! When wearing knee-high boots with a short dress, always wear pantyhose or stockings for a neater, cleaner look. It will also add an element of warmth on cooler winter days.