There is something about blow dried hair that turns a plain Jane into a glamorous diva irrespective of the age. The bounce you feel in your walk; the way you turn your head wearing Louis Vuitton shades; the shape your hair takes with every move; all of the above makes you feel confident about yourself because you smile, you feel pretty from inside. It says that YOU are ready to face the world. Such is the power of hair for any women in this world unbiased of geographical locations. But the biggest question is what happens when you can’t feel the above, what happens when you can’t feel the bounce irrespective of what you do. Simply put, what happens when you have a damaged hair. This article will explain you about the basic hair care tips for damaged hair. We will try covering the basics what, why and how?
What are damaged hair? Damaged hair would refer to hair that are unhealthy or thin with traces of dandruff and itchy scalp, which has lot of frizz, dryness and split ends.
Why it happens? The major cause of damaged hair is chemical abuse. There are new products or hair colors launching every day, we tend to get attracted to them, there by making our hair abused chemically. The harsh colors leave permanent damage to our hair. Apart from chemicals; it is also caused by improper diet, heat and excessive use of commercial styling products.
How to take care of damaged hair at home:
Damaged hair needs treatment like a baby. It require utmost care in terms of keeping your hair clean and chemical free for sometime till it get backs to normal pristine condition. First and foremost you are required to be patient and positive, the treatment is not an instant quick fix but a process of restoring hair to normal condition.
1. Use oil- The old school thought still says oiling your hair is the best to keep hair healthy and shiny. Don’t fret if your hair falls; they would fall anyway. So take out time and apply oil generously like olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, almond oil or combination of oils which ever you personally feel like. Apply religiously thrice in a week and try keeping it on for at least one hour before washing.
2. Egg-Tastic- Apply the whole egg as it is, it will give an instant shine to your hair and works like a conditioner. Mixing eggs with yogurt and lemons can also produce good results. Remember to leave the paste on for at least an hour and then wash off your hair normally.
3. Lemon and oil- If you are allergic to the egg smell, one can easily mix lemon and oil and massage gently with your finger tips from scalp to the end of the hair. It will keep away the dandruff and will give shiny soft look to your hair.
4. Curd or yogurt- Curd is a natural cleanser with anti-bacterial properties. Apply curd directly on to the scalp and leave it on for an hour. Remember to wear a shower cap because the curd will leave water. Wash it off normally and you will be happy to see the results.
5. Avoid washing with hot water- No matter how much you crave for hot water shower or how soothing it may sound or feel but in reality hot water head bath makes your hair dry and brittle as it takes away the natural protective oils from your head and will make your scalp itchy. Thus, prefer normal body temperature water.
6. Honey! Honey!!- Make a paste of your daily conditioner by adding 2-3 table spoons (or depending on hair length) of honey. Apply this honeycomb pack on your shampooed or wet hair. Leave it for atleast good 30 minutes and wash off thoroughly. The pack will close down the hair cuticle as honey is a natural protector and it will give an amazing shine.
7. Give a beer hug to hair- Wash your hair with beer and massage them for 20 minutes and then rinse of slowly. This will give you salon soft look. Who could have thought beer can be used like this instead of its regular use. While you might just drink a sip or two while washing.
8. Trim! trim!!- Trimming your hair regularly will keep away dry and split ends. Go for trim every 6 weeks and who knows you might get a new hair cut.
9. Washing- Washing your hair every other day can make your hair healthy as it removes excessive oil that comes naturally on the scalp. Remember to use more conditioner than shampoo. When applying conditioner, always use it on the ends and towards the center of the hair in case of straight or wavy hair. For curly hair, use conditioner to the whole length.
10. Brush properly- Brushing hair should be art. Brush your hair nicely and slowly. Never brush wet hair as they are weaker and more likely to break. Towel dry your hair first and brush lightly with a wide brush.
11. Good diet- Apart from all this, it’s very important to focus on your plate. It’s imperative to eat good food with maximum nutrients and anti-oxidants. Drink lots of water, at least 4-5 liters everyday and eat healthy food. Include raw vegetables and fruits in your diet.
So Go On! Give your dull hair a new Saloon look. And while you paste on the paste from above, put on your favorite music, wear an eye ice mask and just let yourself dive into the pool of feel good factor. Try it! It’s almost meditative.. During and after.. I promise !!