Packing clothing for a visit to Sydney would depend on the season you are travelling to the city, your mode of travel and the activities you plan on doing. With four distinct climates, and a plethora of fun things to do, the type of clothing you need to pack will vary according to these reasons, especially the weather. Sydney has a laid-back, relaxed culture and the same can be said about their dress code. Casual attire for both men and women is the order of the day, however if you are heading out on the town to a smart restaurant or night club, men should pack some long pants and closed shoes and women should pack a few slightly dressier outfits, such as a nice dress and some high heels.
Weather in Sydney in February
1. February is summertime in Sydney with long, hot sunny days and clear evenings, cooled down by the occasional rainfall. Daily temperatures range between 18 and 26 degrees Celsius on average, so it is perfect beach weather. There might be some humidity in the air, however not enough to make life uncomfortable.
2. Packing clothing when travelling to Sydney in February is easy – think light and comfortable – shorts, T-shirts, swimsuits and jeans for the evenings. If you are planning to do outdoor activities, then pack a good pair of walking shoes and it is preferable to pack clothing made from natural materials that can breathe, such as cotton and linen.
3. Winters in Sydney are mild so if you are travelling there between June and August, make sure to pack warm clothes such as long pants, jerseys and a good waterproof. Again, good walking shoes are a must if you plan on walking around the city as Sydney is best explored on foot. Here is an easy travel checklist for packing clothing for your trip to Sydney:
- For the beach – swimwear and sarongs (avoid thongs as they are not considered appropriate in the city)
- Light, summer dresses / skirts
- T-shirts / Tank tops / Tube tops
- Jeans / Cotton Capri pants
- Light jersey / Pashmina (something to throw on in cooler weather)
- Sandals / Ballet pumps / Heel (for the night club scene)
- Good walking shoes
- T-shirts / Polo shirts / Short-sleeve shirts
- Jeans / Cotton pants / Khaki pants
- Collared shirt (evening wear in restaurants)
- Light jersey / Light jacket
- Sandals / Closed shoes (for the night club scene)
- Good walking shoes
- Light dresses/skirts
- Swimwear (and sun protection wear)
- Sunscreen – VERY important as the Australian sun can be harsh.
- Stylish carry bag / shoulder bag
- Umbrella (if you are prone to sunburn)
While the tone in Sydney is generally casual, if you are planning on enjoying some fine dining in the cities many excellent restaurants, women should pack a smart dress, skirt or pants suit and men can get by with a collared shirt, khakis and closed shoes.
Outdoor enthusiasts and adventurers need to pack the appropriate clothing and gear for whatever activity is planned, however if you are just planning on walking the city, a good pair of trainers or walking shoes is vital. Sydney has an extremely high incidence of skin cancer, so be sure to pack and wear a broad-rimmed hat in summer, as well as plenty of sunscreen.