Since the beginning of time, man has sought to find the secret to eternal youth. From the fabled fountain of youth to the anti-aging treatments of today, many efforts have been made to in an attempt to slow the natural processes that our bodies and minds follow as we grow older. The truth of the matter is that while we cannot stop the natural aging process, there are many things that we can do to help increase and maintain our youthful vitality and energy.
Here are some tips to stay young and healthy despite your age:
1. Keep your mind sharp- Keep your brain stimulated and sharp and your body will follow. Well, maybe it’s not quite that simple, but there is a direct correlation between keeping your mind mentally stimulated and the body’s response to aging. It has been scientifically proven that people who pursue activities that challenge the mind and thought processes are more vibrant and alert and tend to be more active as well. Exercising the mind has also been proven to fight the onslaught of debilitating diseases like Alzheimer’s.
2. Exercise daily-As one ages, the body experiences a slow loss in bone density, muscle, balance and physical stamina. Having a daily exercise regimen can help replace much of that loss. Exercise can also help keep your heart healthy and strong. Most of all, exercise just plain old makes you feel better! It’s good to consult a doctor to make sure that you have a regimen that suits you best.
3. Get the proper amount of rest- Sleep is necessary for the body to have time to replenish and rejuvenate itself and should not be ignored. Not getting the proper amount of rest can leave one more susceptible to things like heart disease and stroke. Lack of rest can also affect your emotional demeanor as well. At least six hours per night is the recommended minimum. Of course overdoing it can be just as detrimental so don’t get in the habit of sleeping until noon every day.
4. If you are a smoker, quit- Smoking can cause cancer and can take years off your life. It also makes your skin sag and wrinkle, and just doesn’t smell good at all. It’s a habit you can do without. If you have to smoke, consider trying an electronic brand.
5. Eat healthy foods- Now is the time to improve your diet. Stay away from greasy, fatty foods, and eat more vegetables and colorful fruits that add antioxidants to your body.
6. Limit your time in the sun- Although the UV rays of the sun are needed to stimulate the production of vitamin A in our bodies, too much exposure to UV rays can damage the skins appearance and possibly cause skin cancer.
7. Keep stress at a minimum- Stress can harm us in so many ways. Laugh and smile as much as you can and life will seem much easier even when you face challenges. There’s a say that says you’re only as young as you feel. Follow these tips to stay young and healthy, you will soon start to feeling younger despite of age. This is the best way to defy age.