How to apply lipstick perfectly is not a rocket science. Lipstick, when applied perfectly, draws the most pleasant attention and appreciation to your mouth. Worn wrong, lipstick can be a disastrous instead of flattering element to your overall look. Applying lipstick is not an exact science, but there are tested and proven tips to applying lipstick perfectly, or as perfectly as possible, to get the effect that you want to achieve. Here are some tips that will help you to wear lipstick like professional makeup artist:
Step 1: Choose the right lipstick color:
- Start with the basic rule: Know your skin’s undertone. A person’s skin can only have either pinkish or yellowish undertones.. Yellow signify warm and pink represent cool. If your skin has a yellow shade, choose warmer colors and for pink undertone, look for shades with blue or purple hues. Knowing your undertone helps you to figure out, which lipstick hues suits you best.
- If you are not sure about your undertone, stick to the color of your complexion:
- If you have fair skin, deep red and bold colors go well with your lips. Avoid lipstick colors that are too pale because these colors will just make you look haggard. Try coral or dark red with pink undertone instead.
- If you have medium or olive skin, you are in luck: Almost every lipstick color like pink, orange, cranberry, red and nude will look good on you. All you have to do is to decide on the effect that you want and match the lipstick color with your outfit.
- If you have dark skin, then choose colors like plum, berry, and red. They complement your skin tone. To get a more naturally flattering look, go for red shade with burgundy or brown tones. Try not to use anything brightly pale or light color on your lips.
Step 2: Prepare your lips
No lipstick color or lipstick applying technique will work on you perfectly until you prepare your dry and flaky lips. To achieve best results use a soft toothbrush to scrub your lips gently and remove dead skin from your lips. You can also mix a natural exfoliating paste of sugar and water. Apply some on your lips and massage them gently for about 10 seconds.
Step 3: Apply lip liner
Tracing the outline of your lips add focus on the shape of your mouth. You can define the outline of your lips with lip liner. Some women prefer to outline their lips after applying lipstick. Others do it before to make the outline of the lips look more defined.
- Start by choosing a neutral shade of lip liner. This means that the color should be close to your natural lip shade. Do not use a dark liner with light lipstick. Lip liner and lipstick must always match.
- Draw a line from the corner of your lips to the center.
- Fill your lips entirely with lip liner before applying lipstick. This is an optional step. Lip liners can be used as a base lipstick. They make the actual lipstick last longer.
Step 4: Condition your lips
Applying lip balm or petroleum jelly helps condition your skin, preventing them from drying or chapping underneath the lipstick. Use a dollop of petroleum jelly or colorless lip balm on your lips.
Step 5: Apply lipstick
This is the main event. Some women are so used to applying lipstick that they do not feel the need to look in a mirror while doing it. To apply lipstick perfectly though, make sure you do it in front of a mirror.
- Open the lipstick tube and start applying it carefully within the outline that you traced earlier with a lip line. Always start from the center of your lips and brush the lipstick outward on each direction. Make sure that you fill in all the gaps.
- Apply more coats of lipstick as you see fit. Remember that too much lipstick will rub off easily onto everything.
- Wipe excess lipstick, those that go beyond the outline of your lips, with tissue.
Step 6: Blot your lips
Blot the lipstick with a tissue. This ensures that your lips are not too much or too greasy. Open your mouth and place the tissue between your lips. Close your lips over the tissue. This removes the extra lipstick and helps setting it in firmly in place as well.
Step 7: Apply Lip gloss
Apply clear lip gloss to achieve a shiny, sparkly look. This is optional. If a glossy pair of lips does not go well with your overall look, skip this step.