Mascara is probably the most important piece of makeup to apply as it gives your eyes a special spark and your face a stylish and sophisticated look. Mascara can be worn alone without any other makeup for a clean, natural look, or with other types of makeup for a more ‘done-up’ look. ‘Either way, there is a specific way of applying mascara to create the best look’.
Just follow the steps below:
1. Leave Your Mascara for Last- Always leave your mascara for last. Apply all your other makeup first, such as foundation, eyeshadow, eyeliner and then apply your mascara. If you want extra-long eyelashes, an eyelash curler works wonders to create extra length before applying the mascara.
2. Clean Brush- Open the mascara and pull the wand out from the tube. Twirl the end of the brush on the opening of the tube to remove any excess mascara that might be clumped on the brush. Avoid clumping on the brush, as this will cause clumping of mascara on your eyelashes.
3. Get Comfortable- Stand in a comfortable position in front of the mirror and hold the brush in whatever hand is most comfortable for you. Lean the elbow of the hand you are using on a steady surface and place the mascara brush at the base of your upper eyelashes.
Expert tip! To avoid clumping, separate your eyelashes by moving the wand back and forth slightly on the upward motion.
4. Smooth and Steady- In a smooth, continuous motion, pull the wand upwards towards the end of your eyelashes. Repeat as often as you like to get the effect you want – a few strokes will create a light, natural look, while many strokes will create a darker and hefty appearance. When applying mascara to the lower lashes, use the same technique, except roll the brush in a downwards motion.
5. Comb- For an ultra-refined look, use a lash comb and run it through your eyelashes to separate eyelashes, remove any clumping and create a smooth, natural finish. Once you have combed your eyelashes, take the wand, hold it vertically, and run it along the edges of your eyelashes, adding a touch of color to the tips of your eyelashes.
Expert tip! Place a business card beneath your lower lashes to avoid mascara getting on your skin below the eyelashes.
6. Perfect Finish- Soak an ear bud in makeup remover and apply around the eye to remove any smudges that might have occurred during application.