Unwanted hair anywhere on your body is a pain, but unwanted hair on your chin is a curse! Most women have fine hair all over their body, the amount and thickness of which will vary from person to person, however, if you have coarse, dark hair in certain places, it can become an embarrassing problem. There is a variety of dermatological products and treatments, as well as at-home treatments that can be used to help get rid of unwanted chin hair.
What causes chin hair?
Unwanted hair, or an excess of hair in women is usually caused by an excess of male hormones known as androgens. While women often produce very small levels of this hormone, if too much of it is produced by your body, this could lead to unwanted hair growth. This condition is known as hirsutism or familial hirsutism and it tends to run in families. Usually left unidentified, it can become bothersome and even embarrassing and this is when treatments are required. Some causes of hirsutism (unwanted hair):
- Hormone conditions, such as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Pituitary tumors
- Hormonal changes surrounding pregnancy and menopause
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia or hyperthecosis (this is a condition whereby the ovaries produce too many male hormones)
How to get rid of unwanted chin hair?
There are a number of ways to treat unwanted chin hair, ranging from easy, chemical-free home remedies to bleaching, shaving and waxing, oral medications, or dermatological therapies, such as laser treatments. We take a look at some of the treatments to help you lose those unwanted chin hairs.
Method 1- Chemical-free home remedies to get rid of unwanted chin hair
1. Turmeric mask – Turmeric is well known for its antibacterial properties, as well as having certain elements that help to curb the growth of hair, so a turmeric face mask is excellent for getting rid of unwanted chin hair and maintaining a healthy complexion. Place a few teaspoons of turmeric in some water and mix into a paste. Apply to the facial area where there is unwanted hair and leave for a few minutes until dry. Remove with a cloth and warm water to a glowing, hair-free glowing complexion!
Expert tip! Apply the mask when you are lying in a warm bath. Aside from being relaxing and peaceful, it is far easier and less messy to remove the mask in the tub. The hot water also helps to open pores and make the removal of the hair easier and less painful.
2. Egg mask- Another excellent way of controlling unwanted facial hair is with an egg mask, which works like waxing. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and half a tablespoon of corn flour the white of an egg. Beat into a smooth paste and apply this to the section of your face that has unwanted hair. Once the mixture had dried, it will take on the appearance of a thin mask covering your face. Simply pull off firmly and the unwanted hair will come off with the mask.
Method 2- Other methods of removing unwanted chin hair
1. Shaving, plucking, waxing- Shaving, plucking, and waxing are good ways of getting rid of unwanted hair, however, there are side effects with each method. Shaving tends to make hair look darker when it grows back and needs to be regularly done ; Plucking can be painful, but is effective at keeping hair at bay; and waxing is a very effective method of maintaining a hair-free chin, however can also be painful if you have a low pain threshold.
Expert tip! Rub some olive oil into the skin after shaving to get a smooth, stubble free result.
2. Permanent hair removal- There are a number of permanent treatments and methods that can be applied to get rid of unwanted chin hair, such as electrolysis and laser hair removal. This method uses electrical current to damage individual hair follicles permanently in order to prevent any hair growing back. Bear in mind that multiple treatments are needed to be effective and the method is expensive. There can also be some redness, swelling and scarring. Laser hair removal uses laser aimed at the dark color (melanin) in the hairs, to kill each hair and works best on larger areas of hair. This method is also somewhat expensive and does not work on blond or red hair.
3. Oral contraceptives- Unwanted hair is usually caused by an excess of hormones, so taking oral contraceptives can help to rebalance the hormones in your body and decrease the amount of hair growth. There are a number of different oral contraceptives and it is imperative to visit your doctor to get advice on the correct type to use for this reason.